Friday, January 25, 2013

The Texting Driver

This recently showed up on my Facebook page 
and I think it is important enough to share. 

Please watch. 



I think most of us can say we have seen it, been in the car while it is happening or maybe even done it ourselves- read or replied to a text while driving. We live in a world where instant gratification is becoming like a demanding need instead of a want and we find ourselves in constant "go mode."
If it rings answer it. 
If it dings reply to it.
If it knocks answer it. 
Need an answer send a text. 
Have a moment "check-in."
But do we really need this instant gratification all the time? Do we need the constant plug in? Are we paying too high a price? 

The people in the video above did. 

It is so easy to say "I can handle it," or "that won't happen to me." I am sure that is what these people thought too. My step son is about to drive and all I want to tell him is just turn the stupid thing off while you drive.  Nothing is important enough to risk your life. I have been the passenger of a texting driver and although I felt a little nervous, I didn't say anything. I should have. And be warned my dear family and friends, I will say something now, because although I have been fortunate enough so far NOT to be affected by texting and driving I don't want any of us to be....ever.

It may not seem like a big deal. You do it all the time. Could do it with your eyes closed. It is just a moment. Would you drive while drunk? If not than you shouldn't drive while texting either because a texting driver is WORSE than a drunk driver.

 From cnbc.com:

The folks at Car and Driver Magazine have now documented just dangerous it can be.
Rigging a car with a red light to alert drivers when to brake, the magazine tested how long it takes to hit the brake when sober, when legally drunk at .08, when reading and e-mail, and when sending a text. The results are scary. Driving 70 miles per hour on a deserted air strip Car and Driver editor Eddie Alterman was slower and slower reacting and braking when e-mailing and texting.
The results:
  • Unimpaired: .54 seconds to brake
  • Legally drunk: add 4 feet
  • Reading e-mail: add 36 feet
  • Sending a text: add 70 feet
When I took the test for reading e-mail or texting, I was just as slow to react. On average, it took me four times longer to hit the brake. Mike Austin at Car and Driver told me in blunt terms that I was "way worse" than the average driver.

Don't text and drive. There is no need and nothing so dire it can't wait. Honest. 

Come home alive, don't text and drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment