Friday, December 28, 2012

Fit to burst!

I am so stinking excited! My sister is finally in her ninth month of pregnancy and so close to due making her a first time mommy and more importantly me a first time Auntie with all the spoiling rights and privileges allowed the title! I can hardly wait (and neither can she truth be told!)

Isn't she cute! (yes I am totally biased)
Don't kill me for sharing this pic sis!
As a mommy and a sister all of instincts have been in full swing. I want to help her, teach her, direct her, encourage her, protect her, spoil her....on and on the list goes. It really is a different feeling though. I mean I know what it is to be and feel pregnant, but I feel thumbs sometimes when it comes to trying to help he,r part because it has been so long and part because I know (sniff sniff) little sis is all grown up and doing this family thing herself now! (sigh....sniff....)

It doesn't change a thing and it seems to change everything. Her milestone is my milestone. From sister to aunt. Wow.

And this reality makes me stop and look around. My babies are almost 8 and 10. Eight and ten!!!  Um, when, where, how???? I am almost a mom to a tween and definitely mom to a tween wannabe and about to be an Aunt. I'm supposed to know stuff and have advice and tips and shortcuts and be the someone my niece can talk to when mom "just doesn't get it" and am  I ready? Am I really that old that I can be that person already? Hmm....I guess so ready or not here it comes!

My oh my time flies when you are living life. I hope I have paid enough attention to be of help and not to have missed the important stuff.

And to my sissy... I am SO proud of you and excited for you! You have made it through this amazing milestone beautifully (almost done) and are about to enter the next greatest and longest one....motherhood! It will be amazing and difficult, but I know you can do it. And I will be here for you as best I can giving what advice I know and encouraging you and your hubby through the rest as you build your beautiful family. From one mom to another...

  • Cherish each moment big and small because it is in those moments that life happen
  • It is ok to take mommy time, so take it guilt free
  • Going grocery shopping very slowly just to have a break is normal....enjoy it
  • Sometimes taking a nap while baby is sleeping really is better than trying to clean something
  • Don't forget to take care of you...you are the main pole in your family tent....you go down and all the other walls go down with you
  • Yes your baby, your husband and your family all love you even if they forget to say it, or thank you, or happy birthday, or happy mother's day, or hi mom..... 
  • Yes those things you do that seem to go unnoticed do matter 
  • Yes mommies are beautiful too...and sexy....and fun
  • Not all moms will agree with how you choose to parent, just do what is best for your family and don't think twice about what others may or may not think about how you do what you do
  • Not parenting like another mommy doesn't make you a bad mommy, it makes you....you
  • Yes they can seem to spawn into demon, but they  really are your children and will get back to some form of normal eventually
  • Sometimes it is best to take a breath and count to 10....or 20.....or 100
  • Daddy won't take care of them like you do, but he is taking care of them "daddy style" just let it be and let them bond "daddy style"
  • And yes this is the most trying and most amazing job that will ever bless your life and you can do it


I love you sis....now let's get to having this baby I am ready to be an Auntie!


No comments:

Post a Comment